Old 18-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Leon Trollski

"Warren" wrote in message

I couldn't imagine leaving that thick as mulch. It's not very attractive.

funny, I was just admiring mine yesterday, thinking it looked very
spring-like with the tulips and all poking thru.

it settles when it gets wet, it would cut off any oxygen supply to

something
growing there. I

Why do you say that? This isn't landscape fabric. Air will always get
through.

suppose if you fluff it up often enough that could be overcome,
but that sounds like a lot of work when the layer is that thick. If you

have to
dig instead of rake to fluff it, it seems to me that it's a bit too much.

I find the 4-6" mulch added after freeze-up is gone by end-May, the worms
pull it into the soil.

Leaf mould, and even shredded leaves, IMHO, make a great soil amendment.

But I
think there are better things to use as mulch.

On the contrary, it seems like the dream amendmenet. It protects my bulbs
through winter, prevents hot/cold swings, keeps the growing tips hidden from
freak cold spells, retains moisture, and gets completely incorporated into
the soil without being reworked by mid-Spring. What's not to love?

It's also free, and I keep it out of our overtaxed landfills.