Old 18-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Kay

In article , Rod rodcraddoc
writes

I saw frogspawn in the Clwydians last Saturday, the snow had not quite
cleared from the higher slopes. It was in a galvanised tank being used
as a sheep drinking trough at about 200m asl . It was just below a
small spring and almost filled with soil and rocks washed into it. The
spawn was in the 8cm or so of water above all the rubbish so the water
was never going to get any deeper and the spawn made mounds above the
water in places. Some tadpoles were already emerged.

I can remember seeing tadpoles in a puddle in a forestry commission walk
once. Frogs are not bright.

Springwatch site is very interesting with maps of the 'first sightings'
data, eg for frogspawn:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...h/results/frog
spawn.shtml

Frogspawn shows quite different pattern from ladybirds and bumblebees,
both of which spread steadily from S to N. Frogspawn, spread from the SW
peninsula and along W coast, and then filled in inland areas. Noticeably
few sightings of frogspawn from E Anglia.

The snow interlude is very clear in all three datasets. I would guess
it's a genuine lack of activity by animals and not just a reflection of
lack of observation by warmth-loving humans ;-)

Oh, and we saw our first newt of the season today.
--
Kay