Old 18-03-2005, 05:43 AM
wu

I now have most of my oncidium out of the pots and they are happy.
However, I can't go anywhere now. The miltonias have new growth and
roots are coming out. I don't know whether the roots are growing because
of the warm weather or because I am doing something right. I have not
taken the miltonias out of the pots.

I bought about 24 oncidiums from Hawaii after my visit to the nurseries
last May. I managed to kill one miltonia since then. All my orchids were
doing 'fine' in the shade house and bloomed all the way until January
when I took them back out on night too early. I also left them out in
the cold (mostly above freezing, except one night) since my friend told
me they could take it. It was a mistake.

One of my zygos is blooming. See http://wupatrick.com/OF05031715.jpg

I might have put the zygos in too tight of a media. I basically put the
lava rocks in a blender and grounded them and then pour the mix into the
pots. They are terrestrial, but I think I might have overdone it.

Kenni Judd wrote:

Q2: I notice most bulbs have shoots coming out. I suppose they don’t
need water at this stage? Q3: Once the shoots grow bigger, the roots
will start to come out. Do I start to water them then?

Um, well, mostly ... but there are insects [usually thrips] that feed on
roots, also diseases [usually fusarium] that can affect them. Where did you
get these poor things, anyway?