Old 18-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Ray

A few comments:

Zygopetalums are NOT terrestrial, they are epiphytes like most other
orchids.

All plants require some degree of air flow throughout the medium to
facilitate gas exchange. Orchids are particularly demanding of it. A major
key to orchid growing is finding the balance FOR YOUR CONDITIONS between
providing sufficient water and nutrition and keeping the air flow adequate.

The URL to your photo (nice!) requires the "www"

"wu" wrote in message
I now have most of my oncidium out of the pots and they are happy. However,
I can't go anywhere now. The miltonias have new growth and roots are coming
out. I don't know whether the roots are growing because of the warm weather
or because I am doing something right. I have not taken the miltonias out
of the pots.

I bought about 24 oncidiums from Hawaii after my visit to the nurseries
last May. I managed to kill one miltonia since then. All my orchids were
doing 'fine' in the shade house and bloomed all the way until January when
I took them back out on night too early. I also left them out in the cold
(mostly above freezing, except one night) since my friend told me they
could take it. It was a mistake.

One of my zygos is blooming. See http://wupatrick.com/OF05031715.jpg

I might have put the zygos in too tight of a media. I basically put the
lava rocks in a blender and grounded them and then pour the mix into the
pots. They are terrestrial, but I think I might have overdone it.

Kenni Judd wrote:

Q2: I notice most bulbs have shoots coming out. I suppose they don’t
need water at this stage? Q3: Once the shoots grow bigger, the roots
will start to come out. Do I start to water them then?

Um, well, mostly ... but there are insects [usually thrips] that feed on
roots, also diseases [usually fusarium] that can affect them. Where did
you
get these poor things, anyway?