Old 19-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Leon Trollski

"Warren" wrote in message
Ann wrote:
Warren expounded:

Landscape fabric allows air and water to pass. A matted layer of leaves,
shredded or not, does not.

Shredded leaves absolutely do let water pass, I do this every year. I
find the look of leaf mulch far superior to anything else in a
perennial garden, and the vegetable garden benefits from a healthy
layer between rows to keep down weeds.

I didn't say shredded leaves don't let water pass. I said a "matted layer

of
leaves", and the context was 4-6". That's very different than an inch or

two
that's kept fluffed.

They're not as impermeable as you may think. And I don't even bother
shredding mine.

But landscape fabric is horrible. Water passes, air does not. Bacteria and
microbiota do not. So what it gets you is nice dead soil.