Old 18-03-2005, 10:54 PM
John Savage

Doll is Mine writes:
I plan to begin saving my own seeds starting this year because of the
high seed prices. I figured it CAN'T be as easy as simply saving seeds
from veggies you've got or everyone would do it. Am I hearing that it
IS, in fact, that easy?

It often can be. Let a couple of onions go to seed, and after the pods
have matured and the seed fallen you'll have onion seedlings coming up all
around next Spring! Lift them and arrange in neat rows as you desire. LOL
The same goes for some flowers, too. You can harvest your own sunflower
seeds, and marigolds are easy, as well. I've harvested lots of snapdragon
seeds and not one sprouted, so that is one flower not to waste time with!

You could let mustard go to seed and harvest the ripe pods, if you want
mustard seed. Beans are another crop where you can allow a few of the
latecomers to mature and dry out. With potatoes just buy small ones and
wait till they shoot then plant them.