Old 19-03-2005, 05:07 AM
wu

I suppose zygo is one of the most adaptable orchids. After I took two of
the zygos out of their grounded lava rock media and shacked the medium
loose, only to find that the roots were actively growing inside and the
orchids were happy; but it was too late.

Xi Wang wrote:

I have a Zygo in sphagnum, and it seems to be doing just dandy.

Cheers,
Xi

Rob Halgren wrote:

wu wrote:

I might have got mine confused. A few sites out there said most Zygos
are terrestrials. See

http://www.orchidlady.com/orchidgarden/2001-10/
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch...gopetalum.html

http://www.adelaideorchids.com/index...alum_notes.htm

If mine is not terrestrial, I will need to get it repotted soon.

There are plenty of terrestrial orchids out there... But I don't think
zygos are one of them. They may be humus epiphytes - living in the
top layer of leaf litter and debris on the forest floor. That is
pretty easy to confuse with dirt growing. I've never seen them in
their habitat. Just based on the way the roots look, I would say they
would do better in an epiphyte mix than potting soil. But they do
great in a peat based mix like Promix-HP or the new coco-coir based
Scotts Metro-mix. They look a lot like dirt.

Rob