Old 19-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Lady Blacksword

Try this question on rec.gardens.orchids. And "Moth Orchid" is the common
name. It is properly a Phalenopsis.
Murri

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bought my first moth orchid and am slightly confused by its growth. it
only has one long stem where the flowers are and large bottom leaves.
From the look of things i do not see how another bud would emerge on

that 12" inch stem. There does not seem to have any nodes. Does another
pop up from the base? If so, how long does it take? its in a 4" inch
plastic pot. HAve no idea when to water or fertilize, because it has no
nutrients as far as I can see and of course no soil to see if it dries
out. i do have it on a large saucer with pebbles and water for humidity
and bright light. BTW, i heard that the blooms are long lasting. Not
on this one...maybe a few days and then they wither just like pansy's
or petunias.