Old 19-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Emrys Davies

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message
Sorry to be vague about what sort of bushes, but I'm really a

veg-growing
person and know next to nothing about flowers and shrubs.

I have two bushes in the garden, been there since I came here over 10

years
ago, and were well established then. So, guess at 15 years old,
approximately the age of the house.

Both bushes are showing serious dead bits, which appear to be

spreading.
Photographs at:
http://nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c468319.html

I assume I should cut my losses and dig them up. This is not

necessarily a
bad thing as a re-planning of the area they dominate is long overdue.

The
real question is whether its a disease which will remain in the soil,

and if
that limits what I should consider as replacement plantings.

Bush 1 used to be approximately hemispherical, and had much lusher

glossy
leaves. It would flower with small white flowers. First showed some

small
dead areas around two years ago, and these were cut out in the hope

that
things would grow back.
Bush 2 is less well shaped, varigated leaves. Showing dead bits on one

side
recently.

The ground is heavy clay. House in Suffolk, so winter tends to be

mild. Die
back is not on the same side on each; so I doubt its a wind effect.

A couple of years ago, someone on this newsgroup diagnosed "Holly leaf
blight, caused by infection with Phytophtora illis bacteria" on a

small
holly plant. That plant was removed and destroyed, and the other

hollies are
fine. These two bushes are more than 20 feet from where the problem

holly
was located, though on the main route into the garden, so the infected

holly
would have passed them on its way to the fire.

Many thanks for any help.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Bush 2 would appear to be
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/photos....KeyValue=503#6

You could cut out the dead branches and the scrub will no doubt survive
and give quite a good account of itself.

It does not like pruning to that extent.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.