Old 19-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Amber Ormerod

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
A good soakaway has a 4 inch soil pipe going into the point were there

are
lots of rock/aggregate to soakaway.The soil pipe can also have holes in

the
bottom with sharp sand around the soil pipe.Done this way you should never
get problems with water backing up.The soakaway area should also be quite

big area and deep,I would say around 1m square min.

I would say this is what we have atm but I am not sure they did 1m square -
probs a couple of foot? Not sure how deep.

i have an idea on how to possibly resolve this without excavating the entire
greenhouse base - i'm not overly keen on this except as a last resort, as it
looks very similar to what you describe, and i'm concerned that this may
become an annual job, and also that exavating under the greenhouse base
could cause instability etc.

the base at the end of the greenhouse where the drain is, is built up with
breezeblock to around 8 inches, so my idea was to drill diagonally from the
outside up into the soil pipe currently used for the drain, using say 4 19mm
holes, and then join these up with a chisel to make a reasonable sized hole,
put a pipe in this hole and channel the water from the original drain
outside of the greenhouse to an external soakaway that we can then monitor
and change as required.

Not as neat a solution, but anyone see any real problems with this approach?

obviously first port of call would be to the guys who did the job, but
after 10 months, i don't think they will want to know....