Old 20-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Nigel Cliffe

Nick Gray wrote:
"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message

[..........]
I have two bushes in the garden, been there since I came here over
10 years ago, and were well established then. So, guess at 15 years
old, approximately the age of the house.

Both bushes are showing serious dead bits, which appear to be
spreading. Photographs at:
http://nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c468319.html

[.....]

The first bush is Choysia ternata (Mexican orange blossom), I doubt
very much that it's a disease that's killed it, more likely lack of
light, water or just old age.

The second bush is Eleagnus pungens 'Maculata', again I'd suggest
that it's lack of light, water or old age that's killed some of the
branches, rather than disease. Just cut out the dead branches.

If you are going to keep them or dig them out, I'd suggest applying
plenty of compost/mulch to the soil.

Thanks Nick (and Emrys for the earlier identification).

Looks like digging up and bonfire for the Choysia.
There are some healthy looking young shoots near the centre. They might be
suckers rather than growth from the stem. Is it worth trying to save those,
or just give up on that plant and purchase new at the nursery ?

The Eleagnus will be given a new chance and some mulch, after a prune of the
dead bits and a clean out underneath. I've some compost from the heap and
also some well rotted horse muck which can be mixed for the mulch.

Water could be an issue; its been fairly dry in recent years, and I don't
water things, except for new plantings and the vegetables. And a switch to a
more targetted irrigation system for the vegetables has probably reduced the
amount of general garden water.
Light is unlikely to be an issue as there has been no change in buildings or
shade in over 10 years.

Many thanks for the advice.

regards,

- Nigel