Old 20-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Nick Gray

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message

[..........]
Thanks Nick (and Emrys for the earlier identification).

Looks like digging up and bonfire for the Choysia.
There are some healthy looking young shoots near the centre. They might be
suckers rather than growth from the stem. Is it worth trying to save

those,
or just give up on that plant and purchase new at the nursery ?

It burns really well, so stand back when throwing it on :-)

Pesonally I'd take the opportunity to dig it all out and improve the soil.
You could try replanting the shoots, as long as they aren't too straggly,
having been reaching for the light. You've nothing to loose by replanting
and leaving them in there for a couple of weeks, but it's probably going to
be more worthwhile getting a better shaped plant from the nursery, or try a
different plant in altogether.

Water could be an issue; its been fairly dry in recent years, and I don't
water things, except for new plantings and the vegetables. And a switch to

more targetted irrigation system for the vegetables has probably reduced

the
amount of general garden water.
Light is unlikely to be an issue as there has been no change in buildings

or
shade in over 10 years.

It looked like the bit of the choysia that had died was at the back of the
plant, getting less light than the front.

Many thanks for the advice.

regards,

- Nigel

Cheers