Old 20-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Nigel Cliffe

Nick Gray wrote:
"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message

[..........]
Thanks Nick (and Emrys for the earlier identification).

Looks like digging up and bonfire for the Choysia.

It burns really well, so stand back when throwing it on :-)

:-) So fun then :-)

Pesonally I'd take the opportunity to dig it all out and improve the
soil.

That's fine by me as I would like to re-design the area, and the Choysia is
a major obstruction to sight lines in any redesign.
Improving the soil has to be done as part of any re-working of that area;
probably starting with a lot of digging, decide whether to bring in any
better topsoil, and a trailer or two of well rotted horse muck (I have
access to free heap).

My main concerns were understanding the likely causes and whether it might
be disease which limited my future options.

Light is unlikely to be an issue as there has been no change in
buildings or shade in over 10 years.

It looked like the bit of the choysia that had died was at the back
of the plant, getting less light than the front.

That is true; the area which has died back is to the NNE of the plant, and
gets virtually no sun.

regards,

- Nigel

--