Old 20-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Jimbo

Don't think that is it, as the empress tree has heart-shaped leaves. Also it
has clusters of a dozen or more bell-shaped blossoms that are much like
foxglove. This tree I am seeing here has very large individual purple
flowers....they are not clustered at all, they are entirely separate. The
blossoms are as large as magnolia blossoms. Am trying to find out what it
is so I can order one.
"Gello" wrote in message
k.net...
Jimbo wrote:
I am in S. Texas. This week some unknown tree has bloomed in town, and

it
has the most magnificent large purple blossoms I have ever seen. They

are
pretty rare here....I suspect it is because it is not a native species.

The
tree is large but doesn't (I don't think) grow as tall as an oak. The
leaves are fairly wide and rounded in shape. I thought it might be a
Magnolia Galaxy, but the blossoms don't look like magnolia at all. I

can't
find a good on-line pictorial reference to use for ID'ing unknown trees

and
plants.

Hello Jimbo,
It sounds like it may be a Paulowina tomentosa aka "empress tree".

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ownia_tomentos
a.html

Gello