Old 21-03-2005, 05:46 AM
PatK

Wintergreen. Very cold-hardy for your zone 5/6. It makes a nice shade
groundcover, is evergreen, has small white flowers & big red berries,
leaves that emerge red. The berries & leaves can be harvested & easily
fermented for an amazingly flavorful drink. It's a rugged little plant &
you should be able to bamboo-rake fallen leaves right off of it in autumn,
&amp the dog oughtn't ruin it. About wintergreen:
http://www.paghat.com/wintergreen.html

You could also include Japanese anemones for something bigger that blooms
fabulously late in the year. It couldn't have a dog rolling on it, but if
she doesn't jump on bigger plants it'll only be at risk when first
emerging each spring.

-paghat the ratgirl

I don't know if I've ever seen wintergreen at the nursery, but I'll
definitely look for it. Looks very pretty!

Pat