Old 21-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Phil L
writes

You say five foot long but how high?

Sorry, I should have said, bench/table height 80cm?

If you have a double shelf, won't the top one put the bottom one in the
shade?

Not really as the glass goes down to the floor in my greenhouse. Even if
it is shady it's good for putting pots etc on.

Are you particularly concerned about how it looks?

No though the wooden slats look nicer than all metal, but I'm not really
fussed, just want something fairly sturdy.

Dexion is a wonderful invention, lightweight, cheap and very strong:
http://www.dexion.co.uk/products/shelving/economy.asp
It's like meccano...you can bolt it, screw it or whatever you like, you can
affix it to the struts of the greenhouse and take away the shelves when not
required or build it to be freestanding and either leave it in place all
year round or dismantle whenever you like.

I'll look for that, it sounds a really good idea as I can presumably
build to suit.

I wouldn't trust aluminium to take heavy weights for long periods...dexion
is box steel, their 300mm X1000mm (3ft X 1ft) shelves can easily manage
80kgs (over 15 stone!)

Thanks for the help!
--
Janet