Old 21-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Hi
If you use a soil based fertilizer for hydroponics you may have some deficiencies such as magnesium etc.

The ph may need to be lower (acidic) than normal soil growing or the plant may not be able to access some nutrients (some become unavailable due to ph)

Other than that its a great easy way to grow plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Toomey
Audrey wrote:

Hi

My mum has an indoor plant that is a sort of vine growing all around her
lounge room, held up by hooks on the wall. The interesting thing is that
it's just growing in a tub of water, doesn't get fertilised or anything,
and it's massive! It can be propagated by just cutting a bit off at a
sort of node and roots grow from it. Does that sound familiar? Is there
any other plants that can just grow in water like that? My hubby has
pineapple tops sitting in water and they've sprung roots and are doing
great...I've also seen a white butterfly growing in pebbles in a tub of
water. Is there a good way to fertilize them, given the water isn't
usually changed? I don't know if it would be good for them to sit
permanently in a tub of soluble fertilizer...

Thanks for your help - this looks good to me, I have a very black thumb
and plants that are happy to just sit in water are right up my alley :-)

Audrey

The common climbing indoor plants include Devils Ivy (scindapsus aureus),
http://www.eiu.edu/~biology/powerpoi...iew/sld008.htm
,syngonium podophyllum http://hiloweb.com/webman/arr.html
and philodendrons
http://www.fertilizer.com/garden/hou...lodendrons.htm

I suppose any of these COULD start as a cutting in water & grow just like
with hydroponics. Make sure the water doesnt get cloudy/smelly.

I'd use a small amount of Miracle Grow as a fertiliser.

gtoomey