Old 21-03-2005, 06:28 PM
mkdir

I'm thinking about getting a gas-powered chainsaw, perhaps 16" or
less, and wondered model/brands folks like best or worked well. I'm
considered Stihl and Husqvarna. Any other quality brands? I have
about 150 trees, probably an occasional use of the chainsaw. TIA

I have experience of Jonsered, an over 20 year old saw that so far has
never failed. Have had to replace spark plugs, filters, chain, blade
and stuff of course, but that's routine maintenance. I also have some
experience with newer Jonsered saws, which are much lighter, but also
seems a bit less robust. But, hey, that's evolution. When it comes to
Jonsered, they are these days very similar to Husqvarna, but I like the
design and "feel" of the Jonsered better. And it has a kinder sound...
Maybe I'm silly, I don't know But if you are to spend a lot of time
with a saw, you better like the sound actually...not all saws sound
alike. Jonsered, last time I checked, allowed you to try the saw all
you wanted for a week, and then return it if you didn't like it.

For 150 trees any Stihl or Husqvarna/Jonsered would be an excellent
choice, at least if you go with some of their stronger engines. Modern
engines seem to have more rpms but they need the horsepower just as bad
as before, if not more actually. Try to chose a local dealer. Both
Stihl and Husqvarna/Jonsered have good service when it comes to spare
parts, parts for a 1970s Jonsered is expensive and quite hard to find
though. But that can be expected I reckon. It's easier to buy a used
saw and have that for parts.

Here's a little I wrote for another thread, which talked about
chainsaws, but I never got around to post it. I'll include it anyway,
even though it is a bit too long

=

Firefox closed a window for no reason so I have to repost. Sigh.

I've used Jonsered for a long time, I liked the design and "feeling" of
their products. Jonsered was merged into Husqvarna as Electrolux bought
them both in 1978-79 (Husqvarna first), I guess it was the natural
thing to do, Jonsered and Huskvarna are less than 100 miles apart, and
in a globalised economy it's important to keep volumes up. Jonsered
says they still have some separate factories and R&D. Jonsereds
original chainsaw-factory was closed in 1989. Their chainsaws don't
seem identical to Husqvarnas, although I reckon they are made in the
same factory these days and maybe they have the same engines.
Electrolux also bought Partner in 1978.

Since then, Electrolux has also bought Poulan in 1989 and 1997, in a
number of mergers. Including Weed Eater and American Yard Products
(which I suspect is manufacturing Jonsereds garden tractors, but I
can't bet on it).

So, all in all, a number of producers owned by the same company,
Electrolux.

Production facilities seem to be somewhat separate though, they haven't
moved it all into a huge factory in Asia. And Electrolux has claimed
they are really into brand managing, and will try to use the strengths
of the various brands in different markets.

Brief (even briefer now, after FF crash) history:

Husqvarna started making weapons in the 1600s, and has since then made
just about everything when it comes to tools or machines. Washing
machines, motor cycles, sewing machines, you name it. Now a part of
Electrolux, they have a wider range of products in many fields.

Jonsered started making tools for forest industry in the 1800s and
became one of the leaders in light (as in one-man) chainsaws in the
1950s. Now a part of Electrolux, Jonsered focuses on tools and machines
for forests and gardens. They still make other things though, such as

Poulan still makes chainsaws in Arkansas, in the "biggest chainsaw
factory" in the world. Poulan in 1944 invented the "bow guide" which
(from what I can understand) made using these old chainsaws more
efficient, now most of the time 2 men were needed instead of 3(!).
Poulan was merged into Weed Eater.

Electrolux starts in early 1900s by selling advanced kerosene lamps for
lighthouses. Before the war (WW1) they also goes into vacuum cleaners
and in the early 1920s starts selling refrigerators. After that they've
expanded into everything driven by electricity, and most things driven
by gasoline as well. Not cars or aeroplanes to my knowledge though.

As for what chainsaw to buy, buy one that "feels" right, and one which
have local dealers.

These "megacorporations" such as Electrolux (or GE, Ford, or whatever)
removes some of the "soul" from the brands they buy...at least that's
my feeling. But as long as there are connections to the past the
producers and designers seem to be able to make good products. Bahco
was recently bought by Snap-On, but Bahco still seems to be made in the
same factories, with the same quality. That might change in the future
though. I'm not saying Snap-On is lower quality than Bahco, just
different...