Old 21-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Gramma

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message

Thanks PvR
You confirmedwhat I thought - I was advised badly

Gramma
Gramma schreef
Just dropping in to ask for a couple of definitions regarding botanical
terms. If some kind soul would have a look at the following site
and taking the drawings as a,b,c,d, from the left and tell me what these
'parts' should be called I would be extremely grateful.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs21&d=05121&f=Botanica.jpg

***
There are lots of parts here ...
* * *

For instance I have been advised to call a : Inflorescence

***
That would be wrong
* * *

I always thought this meant the flowering part of a plant.
Could this be used to describe the central column [stamen? stigma?] prior

to the stage where anthers were swollen with pollen, if the petals were
removed?

***
No, it couldn't
* * *

c. I have been advised to call this a Bud

***
It is hard to tell from the picture what exactly this is
* * *

- again I thought this was the pre flowering stage - relating to a young
flower. I have been advised to use this to describe what I would call
immature fruit ,[the stage before the seeds are fully formed and the
capsule is ready to open]

***
An immature fruit is not a bud.
PvR