Old 21-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Now Gramma Grass can party hearty for the rest of his spring break knowing
there are always naive suckers on the internet willing to do his homework
for him!!!! The bottom line Grass man: don't even think of trying to smoke
it.

Monique is such a malvaceous marshmallow but she doesn't even recognize one
of he kin when she sees it!!!

"Monique Reed" wrote in message
Your first two show the androecium and gynoecium (male and female
parts of the flower) in two stages of maturity. The second two show
the gynoecium in two further stages of maturity.

"Inflorescence" is a term for the flowering part of a plant and its
associated structures--pedicels (flower stalks), bracts, etc. It does
not apply to any of these drawings.

"Bud" is an immature shoot (whether vegetative or floral) or an
unopened flower. It does not apply to anyof these drawings.

Does that help a little?

M. Reed

Gramma wrote:

Just dropping in to ask for a couple of definitions regarding botanical
terms.
If some kind soul would have a look at the following site
and taking the drawings as a,b,c,d, from the left and tell me what these
'parts' should be called I would be extremely grateful.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs21&d=05121&f=Botanica.jpg

I have checked 'The Language of Botany' by C. Debenham but it was too
technical for me as a layman to decide which way to go.

For instance I have been advised to call a : Inflorescence
I always thought this meant the flowering part of a plant.
Could this be used to describe the central column [stamen? stigma?] prior
the stage where anthers were
swollen with pollen, if the petals were removed?

c. I have been advised to call this a Bud
- again I thought this was the pre flowering stage - relating to a young
flower. I have been advised to use this to describe what I would call
immature fruit ,[the stage before the seeds are fully formed and the
capsule is ready to open]

Thanks in advance

Gramma

--