Old 22-03-2005, 05:02 AM
PatK

Well if it wasn't so much of my yard I wouldn't bother. But it looks so
unsightly.
Pat

S Orth wrote:
No doubt there is some plants you can grow that don't need light or
moisture, but I'm at a loss to think of any.

However, what I really think I should tell you is that whenever possible,
it's never a good idea to plant anything beneath trees as the plants and the
tree roots compete for the moisture (very little, usually) and nutrients,
and the trees lose out. This publication from the Morton Arboretum (Chicago
area) has a great picture showing the difference between tree roots where
grass is planted compared to where there's only mulch:
http://www.mortonarb.org/research/treeroots.html.

Hope this helps!

Suzy in Wisconsin, Zone 5

"The way to avoid housework is to live outside." -Sandra Blacksmith, 1901