Old 22-03-2005, 12:01 PM
John Bachman

On 21 Mar 2005 18:14:40 -0800, wrote:

Ok - I just tested my soil. My pH is around 6.5-7.5, my N is non
existant, P and K are good. I live in central FL, my back yard is
primarily sand.

According to this web site:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH012

The best soil amendment to use would be colloidal phosphate - except no
one around here seems to know what the heck it is! I can't find it
anywhere....

I'd like to prep my soil so that I can sow some Bahia grass seeds this
spring, but don't know what to do....

I do not know much about Florida gardening techniques, appropriate
flora, grass, etc. That said, it seems to me that no amount of
chemical additive is going to improve sand. You need to add organic
material that results in a sandy humus before you can grow much of
anything.

I have a large garden that was once pine woods. After clearing the
trees and stumps I was left with a little top soil mixed with the sand
underneath. I have poured organic material in the form of leaves,
compost and straw into the area and now (13 years later) have a nice,
deep bed in which I can grow most anything.

JMHO

John