Old 21-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Ken Anderson

"ge" wrote in message
After an embarassing number of years, we've come to the conclusion
that home-improvement store type tomato cages don't work, at least for
us and indeterminate tomatoes.

Is there some recognized 'good' support? Cost is an issue;
construction (including welding) isn't.

TIA,
George

I agree about the cages. One, they're not tall enough. And two, they fall
over.
This year I'm going to use those cheap metal fence posts and 6" x 6" wire
mesh, the kind you submerge in wet concrete. It comes in sheets or rolls, and
I'll cut it in half length-wise to make a five foot tall fence. Then weave
the plants through it. The mesh is big enough to where you can reach through
it to pick tomatoes.
Ken