Old 22-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Martin Brown

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

I wouldn't bother chasing them off. They disappear back into the
undergrowth again soon enough. And the goldfish will hoover up a fair
proportion of the tiddlers if left to their own devices. They seem to
let them grow for a while and then decide they make a tasty snack. At
least that is what seemed to happen in our pond. Some froglets did
emerge but as a proportion of the frogspawn it wasn't many!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

They go back into the undergrowth and lurk.

Regards,
Martin Brown