Old 22-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Bob Hobden

"Terry Pinnell" wrote
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

Terry, the only problem these frogs could cause are..
1. They may have "Red Leg" which is also transmittable to fish.
2. A frustrated Male may mistake a fish for a female and hold it so tight
(amplexus?) it drowns.

Both just warrants observation by you, not action.

Unless you see one or other in which case..
1. You treat the pond with an "Ulcer" cure (the the benefit of both).
2. You net out the fish/frog and separate them (not as easy as it sounds!)

Oh, and don't spread the spawn around for the reason 1. above.

--
Regards
Bob