Old 22-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Phil L

Terry Pinnell wrote:
:: Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
:: our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!
::
:: I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what
:: about our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the
:: natural food supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting
:: delivery to a local stream), but my attempts with a net have so
:: far (groping around in the oxygenating plants) resulted in the
:: capture of only a single frog!
::
:: What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style
:: of your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle
:: down to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off
:: somewhere else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

You need to look up some information about frogs.
They eat garden pests, lots of them.
They will not impact on your goldfishes food.
You can't put the frogspawn in a river or stream, it needs still water -
find another pond and drop it in there.
The pond will attract frogs every year, so whatever you do you'll have to
get used to doing it.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/