Old 22-03-2005, 04:03 PM
paghat

In article . com, "gnb"
wrote:

S Orth wrote:
I would be afraid the pesticide would be taken up by the plants.

First,
read the label to see what it says about using it near edibles. Here

in
Wisconsin we don't have fire ants, but our first line ant removal
recommendation is to douse the hill DEEPLY with hot water. I imagine

you'll
have to be careful with the water temp so close to your plant's

roots, but
sometimes just drenching the soil with water makes it too wet for a

good ant
habitat.

Good luck!
Suzy in Wisconsin, Zone 5

After reading this thread, I've decided not to use any chemicals at
all. I'll just irritate them with deep waterings and disturbing their
mound until they move on. I'll spend the entire summer chasing them
around.
Thank you for your reply,
Gayle

The organic method is a bait that contains the bacterium spinosad. This
bait is cast over an entire yard & garden so that ants gather it up in the
usual course of their food hunts. They take it in their nest, feed it to
their larvae, & starts a paralytic disease in the whole colony. This is
usually done together with d-limonine mound drenches which is essentially
citrus oil. Annoyance plus bacterial disease equals control. Here you can
find a PDF file on spinosad & mound drenching:
http://fireant.tamu.edu/materials/fa...39_2002rev.pdf

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he