Old 22-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Travis

Danimal wrote:
Two years ago I relandscaped an area of my lawn (in Northern
Indiana) that did not have grass. I added top soil from a local
hardware. The soil looks really dark and loose.

Now two years later I am still having trouble keeping grass in the
area. A few places the grass seems to be well rooted and healthy
but a vast majority of the area is so loose that the grass comes up
in clumps when ever I run a rake over it. Is this called erosion?

I notice however that other parts of my lawn where I planted grass
and *didn't* put in top soil the grass seems to grow better. I
thought I was doing a good thing by adding "top" soil but I am
afraid I have created a hostile environment to the grass seed.

Can I add something to my soil to make it more hospitable for the
grass? Or can I plant a special kind of grass that will root
deeper.

The only other things to note are that it is on a very small incline
(barely perceptable) and it is mostly shaded.

Thanks for your help,
Dannie

The name "top soil" has no meaning. What ever it is you added should
have been tilled in.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5