Old 22-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Gramma
writes

Would staminode also cover what you have described??
This was another word suggested by my botanical student friend

No, a staminode is a sterile stamen, sometimes petaloid in form. IIRC,
Alyogyne lacks them. About half the old Malvaceae (clade Eumalvoideae in
recent works) have teeth or truncate extensions at the top of the
staminal column beyond the last anther; there's two interpretations of
this - either they're staminodes, or they're an outgrowth of a stamen.
(The corona of the staminal column of the Ceiba speciosa group
(Bombacoideae) is known to be an outgrowth of the 15 stamens.)

I didn't observe any staminodes in the diagram you referenced.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley