Old 22-03-2005, 04:57 PM
MM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:12:11 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I'm preparing a patch (75 m2) of virgin soil for sowing a lawn. The
builder left the area roughly rolled, but I'm now raking and removing
stones and getting a fine tilth on top before sowing grass seed.

I want to get the most even lawn possible. I am raking and rolling,
and it's kind of level, but with pockets and gullies. When I fill
these, rake and roll over, I tend to get humps instead.

How do the pros do it? I would think the only certain way would be to
use formers and a tamping beam as if one were preparing a sand bed for
a driveway, then finally loosening the surface before actual sowing.

Any hints, web site referrals etc most welcome.

MM

I've seen the experts using something which looks like a large ( 1m x 2m )
wooden frame with a handle attached to the centre so it pivots. You then
drag that over the area much as you would with a rake, but being much larger
it gives a much more even result.

Yes, such a tool seems to be widely recommended. I've just purchased
Hessayon's Lawn Expert book, latest edition (only cost £5.99 at
Baytree) and it, too, depicts the use of something large and flat. A
ladder is shown.

I popped into to Jewson's on the way home to see what timber they have
to make one of these gadgets. I reckon a couple of rough-sawn 6" x 1"
boards joined in some way and then provided with handles should do the
trick. Any pics of such implements on the web anywhere? Two years ago
I built my own large soil sifter based on pics on the web. Pics can
tell a very good story!

MM