Old 22-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Terry Pinnell

"w.g.s.hamm" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday I was astonished to find a dozen or two frogs spawning in
our small pond. Hadn't even known we had any!

I'm apprehensive about the impact of these. In particular, what about
our 6 small goldfish - presumably they're sharing the natural food
supply? I removed half a bucket of spawn (awaiting delivery to a local
stream), but my attempts with a net have so far (groping around in the
oxygenating plants) resulted in the capture of only a single frog!

What else, if anything, should we do? What's the usual life style of
your typical frog anyway? After mating/spawning, do they settle down
to marital harmony in their existing habitat? Or hop off somewhere
else? If the latter, hopefully not our flower beds?

why are you removing spawn? Why do you want to remove frogs? They won't be
doing any damage.

OK, thanks all. My worry was plainly unfounded - no competition with
the sitting tenants over food after all. And I certainly hadn't
realised they were a positive *benefit* to the garden! So, I'll let
nature take its course.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK