Old 22-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Don Quixote

Actually, the Dendrobium moniliforme needs a "dry winter rest,"
according to "The Illustrated Encyclopeia of Orchids"; but if you could
water it year round and it didn't complain, who's to tell you that you
were doing wrong.

My theory: if it's not in active growth and it's not blooming, it must
be resting.

If you can keep it in a humid atmosphere, you will be fine. According to
that encyclopedia, "When in active growth keep plants evenly moist;
during the dormant period (generally the cold winter months) plants do
not require watering but need to be in a humid atmosphere or to receive
just enough water to stop the pseudobulbous stems from shriveling."

No good site for you, but I think this is all you need.

David Jewell wrote:

Does anyone know a good site that can help me figure out the mystery of the
to rest or not to rest with Dendrobiums. I have a quite a few and never
know if I should rest them or not.

Thanks

Dave

Partial List

Dendrobium

Den Antennatum

Den Chao Praya Smile x Den Chao Praya Gem

Den Fire Coral

Den Ise

Den Lasianthera

Den Loddigesii

Den Pacific Pride

Den Roy Tokunaga x Den Nora Tokunaga

Den Sweet Dawn

Den Tangerine Mushroom

Den Virgin Angel

Den. Chameleon

Den. Distichum

Den. Roy Tokunaga

Dendrobium Bracteosum

Dendrobium 'Frosty Bells'

Dendrobium monoliforme N. Australia (I water
regularly and it blooms )

Dendrobium Nobile (I know
this one rests)

Dendrobium Speciosum