Old 22-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Chris S

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

Just bought one, a couple of feet high, green leaves, no further info on

the
pot except it says it gets to 3m/well drained soil/sun or light shade.

There is no visible trunk at the moment, I was wondering how fast these
things grow? I have a spot for it that is occupied by a dead tree at the
moment,
but I don't want to cut the dead tree down right away as there is a
dove-cote
thingy on top, so it'll go in a pot for the time being. I'd be interested

know how
long it'll be before it reaches 6 feet. Any ideas?

Andy.

Thanks Folks,

I'm in Devon, near the sea so I'm assuming frost won't be a problem.
Also it
will go against a south facing wall. I am cheered by the fast growth rate
it
seems
to have, I will have to modify my notion of keeping it in a pot until it
is
tall enough to
go in - it may never get tall enough that way! My soil is a decent clay,
but
it will be in
a raised area so I reckon it won't get too soggy - except for rain, which
is
constant
and plentiful down here. I will keep it in a big pot for a year or so then
chop down
my dead tree, move the dovecote and plant the cordyline: that sounds like
good
compromise.

Andy

I have grown one (purple) outside in Aberdeen for 4 years now. We've never
had what I would consider a really harsh winter - no prolonged period of
frost (ie weeks). I tie it up in a pony tale and cover it with a fleece
"envelope/ bag" when it's liable to be most frosty - I'm as worried about
wet, though. It is growing about the same as Janet suggested - maybe less -
I reckon it has grown about 3 - 4inches per year, but it's young yet!

Chris S