Old 22-03-2005, 06:27 PM
garpal

On 3/4/05 1:40 PM, in article , "Norma
Briggs" wrote:

I have read the advice on this wonderful group for the last 3 years and want
to say thanks for all the wonderful posts. I have learned much.

I have gained enough love of gardening and confidence now to expand from my
tiny reserved spot and want to get another space prepared, I understand that
it really may not be ready for edibles until the next growing season or
maybe fall crops.

The space I am using now never had grass on it because of trees which had
over grown on my lot- So I did not have to remove grass, once the tree was
gone there was/had been years of organic matter and the soil was filled with
earth worms. I tilled in some compost and peat moss to loosen things up a
bit, since being on the Gulf Coast of Texas just north of Galveston Island
our soil is like a patch of black concrete if not amended.

I really would like to avoid toxic chemicals if possible, especially being
so close to the bay (maybe 1/2 a mile-if that far) since I know now the
effect round up and fertilizers have on the ecosystem of Galveston bay.

I have considered doing this:
1. setting the lawnmower on stealth mode to cut the grass to the quick.
2. laying a thick layer of card board on top of the former grass
3. putting the grass clippings on top of the cardboard
4. maybe some plastic sheets, anchored down on top of all that and just
going away for a few months to let it all decompose and the rest of the
grass die
5. and because of the ascetics, maybe putting some kind of more attractive
mulch down on top of the plastic.

I could build a raised bed, but from my experience the water drains out of
them faster and since our summers are HOT and often dry (at least till it
floods-not much in between here), I am thinking it might be better to go
down not up.

Also, I have considered buying some of those plastic swimming pools and
drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and using the square foot method
until the grass is dead under the pools next spring, then using that spot.

Does anyone have a better idea or advice? Pros/cons ?

Thanks all!

Norma

There is no reason why you could not grow vegetables this year....on at
least part of your new garden area. I have no idea how big a plot you might
have...but start by removing the sod from one small section...one shovel
full at a time. But....before doing that, do the following:
Buy some heavy duty metal (mesh type) fencing material (2 inch spacing +
-) 8 feet long...even chicken wire will work but I prefer something heavier.
Buy (scrounge) qty 4 each 8 foot 2x4. Cut one in half (4 ft) and one
into four 2 foot lengths. Put the 8 footers on the ground parallel. Put a
four footer at each end and nail them to the 8 footers. (use 2 1/2 or 3 inch
nails).
In each corner nail in the 2 footers (these will be the legs). So, the 2
footers will be standing up in each of the corners. This does not have to be
pretty... Turn this frame over so it is standing on the legs. Nail the
mesh on top or use a stapler-anything to hold the mesh in place.
Put it in the middle of the new garden patch. As you dig up the sod
throw it on top of the mesh and let the sun dry it out. The worms will fall
back to the garden ground (where you want them,) and the sun will kill the
grass and any weeds there. After the sod has dried out, shake them and the
soil will fall off. You will then be left with dried out dead sod that you
then put into your compost box/bin. It will be light and easy to handle.
After you have removed enough sod from a section of your new garden add
compost-dig it in-plant away...
Then go on to the next section...You can do this a little at a time and
as you remove the sod from the second area, you can then plant something
else...then on to the next area etc. until all the sod is gone.
Even if you cannot finish removing the sod from the whole garden this
year you will at least be able to enjoy vegetables from the areas you have
cleared.
Gary
PS: The most important thing about removing the sod is that it is removed!
and you won't have grass coming up again year after year...