Old 23-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Theo Markettos

Mike Lyle wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
Thanks for your assistance to other readers. I use a very old
bookmark. However, on my browser, www.groups/google also does the
business.

(Do you mean www.google/groups?) That's probably because your browser is
looking up www.google, finding it doesn't exist, then looking up
www.google.com. So it all depends on how your system (and perhaps your
ISP's systems) are set up. I can't see how www.groups/google works unless
its something done by your ISP. Using the full domain www.google.com (or
..co.uk) will work anywhere, with any browser.

It also tells you you've posted a new topic when you've only posted a
reply. Why they can't be bothered to fix such simple things fills me
with foreboding. I think it was designed by somebody who doesn't
actually use Usenet: like a car designed by somebody who's never been
in one.

Agreed. I'm a little perturbed by the way they don't make clear what's a
'Google Group' and what's a 'Usenet Group'. So people have started creating
Google Groups and posting to Usenet about them without realising how
different they are (I would object so much if Google offered a newsfeed of
their own groups).

I'll stop wittering now as this is terribly off topic...

Theo