Old 22-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Al

Default Question for the gurus!

Holotype
A single specimen designated as the name-bearing type of a species when it
was established. In simple terms, the original specimen of a species.
Usually abbreviated to 'type'.

A lectotype is a biological specimen or illustration later selected (usually
from among the isotype(s), syntype(s), or paratype(s)) to serve as
definitive type example of a species or subspecies when the original author
of the name did not designate a holotype.

Al
"If I'm your guru, stop letting me lead you around."

"Phalguy" wrote in message
hello everyone!

I`m reading the book Phalaenopsis a monograph by Eric A. Christenson. I
would like to know what is an holotype!
For every Phal listed in the book, it`s written lectotype or holotype L
or
C or SCHLE etc..

What is it?

Thanks