Old 23-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Plant more trees! The first Kiftsgate I ever planted I put, in my
innocence, up a dead apple tree trunk. For years, I had bits of Kiftsgate
whipping around trying to claw the eyes out of anyone who came near it!
Your neighbour will bless you, I hope. I thoroughly enjoyed the one I had
in my last garden, which belonged to the neighbours but to which I had to do
nothing!

That is on the south side - I would rather not. I have no objection
to it invading my neighbour's walnut - it should be gig enough to
cope, and that is the property with the leylandii.

With regard to Halesia, I was recommended to plant it on a bank where one
could look up into it and see it at its best. My ex father in law had done
this in his Jersey garden and I have to say he was quite right. It's not
the only way to see it, of course! But it does add a certain something.

That is why I got what I hope is monticola. It is a proper tree,
unlike carolina.

Actually, it is at the top of a slope - my garden is on the side of
a hill, with a typically impressive Cambridge gradient (1-2%) :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.