Old 23-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Daniel B. Martin

USENET READER wrote:

I have seen the houses in my neighborhood
these Mexicans build - they do work like dogs, and about as smart as one
too! They are only there because they work cheap and not smart. They
don't put housewrap behind the siding, and they don't seal or flash the
windows, etc.

A friend bought a house in one of those large subdivisions where they
build not one house at a time but a whole street at a time. He looked
at a model house, liked it, and signed a contract. He and I watched
every step of the construction, starting with ground breaking.

I am not "in the biz" but have a lifelong interest in residential
construction and can tell good from bad. The framing crew was 100%
Mexican and I was worried about workmanship. However I was pleased to
see them do everything carefully and "right." These guys were skilled.
They worked quickly but there was no sloppiness, no improper
shortcuts taken.

Carpenters who omit housewrap or flashing are doing what the boss told
them to do. Mexican, Anglo, or other, you have to do what the boss
says. If the boss provides substandard materials, who is to blame?
Not the carpenter.

Daniel B. Martin