Old 23-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Brad Fayette

Daniel B. Martin wrote:
USENET READER wrote:

I have seen the houses in my neighborhood these Mexicans build - they
do work like dogs, and about as smart as one too! They are only there
because they work cheap and not smart. They don't put housewrap
behind the siding, and they don't seal or flash the windows, etc.

A friend bought a house in one of those large subdivisions where they
build not one house at a time but a whole street at a time. He looked
at a model house, liked it, and signed a contract. He and I watched
every step of the construction, starting with ground breaking.

I am not "in the biz" but have a lifelong interest in residential
construction and can tell good from bad. The framing crew was 100%
Mexican and I was worried about workmanship. However I was pleased to
see them do everything carefully and "right." These guys were skilled.
They worked quickly but there was no sloppiness, no improper shortcuts
taken.

Carpenters who omit housewrap or flashing are doing what the boss told
them to do. Mexican, Anglo, or other, you have to do what the boss
says. If the boss provides substandard materials, who is to blame? Not
the carpenter.

Daniel B. Martin

You are absolutly correct. The people who come here from Mexico are by
and large very hard working and industrious. More so than many
Americans with their lousy entitlement attitudes. Frank Zappa put it
pretty well:

"I'm a moron 'n' this is my wife
She's frosting a cake
With a paper knife
All what we got here's
American made
It's a little bit cheesey,
But it's nicely displayed
Well we don't get excited when it
Crumbles 'n' breaks
We just get on the phone
And call up some Flakes
They rush on over
'N' wreck it some more
'N' we are so dumb
They're linin' up at our door
Well, the toilet went crazy
Yesterday afternoon
The plumber he says
"Never flush a tampoon!"
This great information
Cost me half a week's pay
And the toilet blew up
Later on the next day"

and I don't think he was talking about Mexicans.