Old 23-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Warren

chrispi2 wrote:
Ok, I'd really like my yard back. How can I get rid of blackberries?
Do I have to kill all the vegetayion or will a certain weedkiller do?

The best way to get rid of wild blackberries is with a backhoe. Dig deep.

Chemicals aren't very effective. Certainly not at any strength that can legally
be applied. I wouldn't be surprised to find blackberries growing around
Monsanto's parking lot.

You can cut them down, but they'll grow back. Each place that the cane touches
the ground is another potential place for it to set down more roots, and there's
only so much you'll be able to pull out without digging. And when you dig around
an area where they took over, chances are you'll hit some roots, and sever them,
leaving another spot for them to grow back from. Eventually after enough years
you'll get it all down to a manageable level, but you will probably never see
them totally eradicated unless you scoop-out a foot of soil, and replace it. And
even then something might be left behind.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html