Old 23-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Alan Gould

In article .com,
writes
Hello to all!
I'm new to this site and am looking forward to learning all that I can
from you, as well as giving opinions, if I feel qualified to do so! ;o)
I am an American, in America and will be moving to England sometime
this year... I love to garden - flowers, herbs and lately, veggies! My
hubby is from there (Lincoln)... and about all the gardening he had
done was growing bamboo!
Now, I need to know how things work over there... Are there any sites
I can go to to learn how the zones work there? What can be grown there?
Are your zones numbered the same as ours? What kind of growing seasons
do you have? Yadda, yadda... Also, I've been reading the thread about
greenhouses... Are these houses just to start seeds and transfer out or
are the seasons so short that they might as well be left to do their
thing in a greenhouse? Can these greenhouses be used for a winter
garden?
I don't want to offend anyone, so please let me know if there is
something I had said that was out of line... I know all to well that
there is a slight difference between my version of English and yours.
;o) Thank you!
I'd appreciate all your help!

Welcome to urg Erin. Your English is very good. Feel free to ask
anything you wish about our very diverse ways of gardening. We don't
have weather zones in UK, we just have British weather, which can be
anything from arctic to tropical, and our gardens can be anything from
desert to swamp. That makes UK gardening results very unpredictable, and
UK gardeners very resourceful. However things turn out, we muddle
through, then we come to this group to compare notes.

Joan and I live to the north of Lincoln, we begin most annuals by
seeding in a propagator from Feb to April, then pot the seedlings up in
our conservatory. Tender plants are mostly grown on in the greenhouse or
polytunnel floor or staging. Outdoor cropping can be done all year round
depending on the type of plant and sowing time, the winters here are
milder on average than in USA. Very often we have a long back end (fall)
which keeps things growing on up to Yuletide. Greenhouses can be used
for winter growing, but humidity can be a problem, so we prefer to rest
ours to prevent diseases building up.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.