Old 24-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Larry

I would love to be able to tie some of the orchids to the palm trees in my
back yard. But it gets too cold here in the winter. I'd have to pull them
off the trees and bring them inside until it gets cold. I'm afraid they
would get too attached (physically, not emotionally!) to the tree, and
pulling them off would damage them. Maybe someone else has other
thoughts...

I still have all my plants inside until the temp is consistently over 60
degrees at night.

Larry

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Sounds like a nice trip, Larry! A friend of mine moved to that general
area, taking some of his orchids with him. One of the 1st things he did
was
staple the orchids to the trees inthe backyard. and dang if they didn't
root
fatter and faster than they ever did out herre in hot, dry california.
Gotta love the tropics!

K Barrett

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
I made my first visit to the AOS Saturday and must say it was an
excellent
trip... Highly suggested for those relatively new to orchids if you get a
chance.

A while ago I asked for recommendations on a greenhouse to visit while I
made a trip with my family to South Florida (from Jacksonville, FL). I
had
several recommendations and will make a trip to a greenhouse tomorrow.

But for some reason I had not thought of visiting the AOS until yesterday

as
we were getting packed for the trip. The botanical gardens are well done,
and people were very friendly. They even had several activities set up
for
my kids (such as painting pots). In fact, my kids (2 girls, only 5 and 7)
thoroughly enjoyed going from orchid to orchid and pointing each one out

me ("Take a picture of this one. And this one. No, this one..."). They

even
had fun trying to find the one that was the most fragrant (my youngest

found
that one, though I do not know the genus/species).

One thing I was disappointed with was that many of the blooming orchids

were
not labeled. Too bad, because I am not familiar enough with many (most)
of
the genus available.

And of course I could not leave without several purchases (have to
support
the AOS). Maybe this was the most exciting part, because prices are
exceptionally reasonable (especially adding 10% discount for AOS
members).

Anyway, my thoughts, for whatever they're worth ($0.02)...

Larry