Old 24-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nicholas wrote:

Here in Buxton the growing season is very short and there are lots of things
that you can't grow. I've searched for info on growing veg in my region but
to no avail. I suspect that as the UK is relativly tiny compared to the US
it's not worth the effort to 'zone'. I know that just a few miles away from
here the season is already three to four weeks ahead of us. So you'll have
to resort to asking the local gardeners in your area.

While it's relatively tiny, there is relatively more variation. Still
less than in the USA, of course.

A more important point is that soil and aspect are at least as important
as location - the former could be described by zones, but many zones
would be a hundred yards across! And I am prepared to bet that, even
in Buxton, a sheltered, south-facing hillside with no frost-trap would
have a longer growing season than my garden in Cambridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.