Old 24-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
news:eqn0e.23327$oa6.7199@trnddc07...
Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Do you know how to do a Google search, Travis?

Of course I do. The definitions people are throwing about have no
meaning. If I said I liked cake how much does that tell you?

Your friend Janet Baraclough gave these defanitions:

" Humus is (relatively recently) decayed living material such as
plant/bacterial/animal material, the stuff you get out of a compost heap
or find on the floor surface of woodland, made of decayed leaves,
decayed animal corpses and faeces etc.

Loam is a variable combination of humus plus particles of geological
elements. Geological elements are stuff like sands, chalk, clay, grits;
their origin is far more ancient than humus. "

How precise is that? About as precise as the definition of "topsoil"
given here in this group.

Sigh.....

Two days after a nice steady rain, you take a handful of soil and squeeze
it. Then, you break it up. If it crumbles like cake, it's well within the
realm of "structurally OK". It may still need nutrients or pH adjustment,
but that's another issue which has nothing to do with this one. Do you see
lots of happy little bugs and/or worms? Reason to celebrate.

Why does everything have to be so complicated?