Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Louis Brooks

Default [IBC] Fw: kilns in japan, from a Japan-studied pottery professional.

I have a friend here in Florida that uses a
traditional Japanese style kiln, which he built
himself, to fire his pottery. (He also studied in
Japan and does pottery in the traditional fashion with
wonderful glazes.) It takes close to 24 hours to get
the kiln hot enough to fire the pottery, but the
results are great. You have to start off with a very
small fire and gradually build it up so it is hot
enough to fire the pottery to ironware. The chimney is
almost 2 stories high and at the peak of firing you
can see flames coming out the top. I keep trying to
talk him into doing some bonsai pots but no luck so
far.

Louis Brooks
Tallahassee, Florida

--- dalecochoy wrote:
Bonsai folks.
I thought this was an interesting, if not fully
related, post from the
moderator of a ceramics newsgroup. He studied in
Japan as many potters also
are doing right now.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy