Old 24-03-2005, 08:56 PM
R. Santink

Glenn wrote:
It is a protein build-up. It comes from the food, and from the fish. It is
normal. A little surface agitation will suspend it in solution for
filtration. People who use hob filters like aquaclear do not see this
because the filter agitates the surface. If you do not want to agitate
(due, lets say to plants needing the extra CO2) you can float a single sheet
of newspaper or even a paper towel for just 30 seconds or so, and it will
absorb the layer. When I do my water changes with the python system, I
invert the nozzle and "slurp" the water from the surface. This skims it off
nicely.

I had this problem with my planted 125g... I bought the Eheim 3535
surface skimmer and it works like a charm. Fluval makes one too, and I
think it is cheap.

No surface agitation, and it keeps the surface immaculate.

RAs