Old 24-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Steve Calvin

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:18:39 -0500, ge wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:34:16 GMT, "FREDERICK INDICTOR"
wrote:

does anyone know of a proven method to repell groundhogs? thanks.

As best I can tell, we've had good luck with fencing. We found out
the hard way that you need a horizontal strip of fence along the
ground, to keep them from digging under.

We've tried traps (Havahart, large). We always catch them,
eventually; but, sometimes it takes a while, and they can do a lot of
damage in one night. One time - before we put the horizontal strip of
fencing in - we had the trap right at the hole they'd dug under the
fence. Nothing: they walked right by it.

If it was legal (& safe) to shoot here, I think I'd get a pellet gun.

George

How far down did you place the horizontal strip. I have bricked them
in, down to a depth of 3 bricks and they have still dug out from
under.

We trap & release in the woods.

Boron

Believe it or not you have to be careful with that... in some areas
(including mine) it's perfectly legal to live trap an animal BUT it's
illegal to take and let it go into the woods. You're supposed to call an
animal relocation service and pay to have it done... yeah, right.

How freekin' stoopid is that.

--
Steve