Old 24-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Rob Halgren

I would just leave it. To the specific points:

1. That isn't soil. It is a peat mix. Surprizingly, peat mixes work
pretty darn well for phalaenopsis, largely because they are about half
air space. Regular garden dirt is not good...

2. I'm kind of surprized there are two plants in the pot...

3. Don't transplant now. Wait until the flowers have fallen off. If
the terracotta pot has no holes, remove the plastic pot from the
terracotta. Otherwise it will drain fine. Don't leave water in the saucer.

4. When you do repot, go ahead and separate them into two pots.

5. It is unlikely that the other plant will bloom again this year.
But, if you treat it right, it should initiate a new spike or two in the
late fall, and bloom again for you early next year.

6. If you are worried about over watering them, you are on the right
track. When in doubt, don't do it. Sounds like you are doing ok.

Rob

wrote:
Hello,
I have just purchased my first orchid, after doing tons of research.
Its a phalaenopsis that appeared to be in an unglazed terra cotta pot.
After buying it I noticed it was not actually in the T.C pot, but
instead in a plastic one (about 5" 10cm diameter)set inside the T.C
one. The plastic pot is clear and I can see many, many green roots,
wrapping and wrapping around inside. The pot has 6 small drainage holes
in the bottom, and the phal. is in regular soil. The flowering spike is
21" long, with 4 white flowers with pink lips From leaf tip to leaf tip
it is 17" wide. It also appears that there is another phal in the same
pot, which is larger (28" from tip to tip), but with no flowering
spike. It looks like the non-spiked one has had several spikes, but
they were cut off. Everything I read has told me to get these orchids
in the orchid bark/ medium I bought and in just the terra cotta pot,
and the separate the two different plants, but everything I have read
also says the wait until it is done blooming and the flowers are gone.
At this point I have to remind you that I am a first time grower and am
worried about over watering them while they are in the current setup.
What exactly should I do about this? Should I transplant them now?
Separate them? Wait until the one is done blooming? Transplant the one
that isn't blooming? How can I get the other one to grow a spike and
bloom?

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com