Old 24-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Kenni Judd

Danielle: Although we can't be certain because we can't see the plant(s),
as you can, I would bet that Rob is correct -- the medium is not dirt, but
some sort of peat mix. Those work fine in low-humidity environments -- you
didn't say where you are???

The decision about repotting an orchid when it is trying to flower boils
down to this: repotting MAY cause the buds/blooms to drop. The more you
have to disturb the roots, the greater that risk. If the plant were a
treasured heirloom or an awarded clone, I'd probably lean towards risking
this year's flowers in favor of the long-term health of the plant. But
since it sounds like a "find" from a grocery or big box store [that's
usually where we see things potted like that], I say enjoy the flowers while
you can, and then see if it's worth re-potting this summer.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have just purchased my first orchid, after doing tons of research.
Its a phalaenopsis that appeared to be in an unglazed terra cotta pot.
After buying it I noticed it was not actually in the T.C pot, but
instead in a plastic one (about 5" 10cm diameter)set inside the T.C
one. The plastic pot is clear and I can see many, many green roots,
wrapping and wrapping around inside. The pot has 6 small drainage holes
in the bottom, and the phal. is in regular soil. The flowering spike is
21" long, with 4 white flowers with pink lips From leaf tip to leaf tip
it is 17" wide. It also appears that there is another phal in the same
pot, which is larger (28" from tip to tip), but with no flowering
spike. It looks like the non-spiked one has had several spikes, but
they were cut off. Everything I read has told me to get these orchids
in the orchid bark/ medium I bought and in just the terra cotta pot,
and the separate the two different plants, but everything I have read
also says the wait until it is done blooming and the flowers are gone.
At this point I have to remind you that I am a first time grower and am
worried about over watering them while they are in the current setup.
What exactly should I do about this? Should I transplant them now?
Separate them? Wait until the one is done blooming? Transplant the one
that isn't blooming? How can I get the other one to grow a spike and
bloom?