Old 25-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Andrew G

"David Pollitt" wrote in message
OFT.COM...
Hi there, I'm new to these lists and bonsai in general. I've got a ficus
that I'm starting to bonsai and I was wondering how important it is to
spray the plant with water as well as watering the soil?
Do I need to keep the leaves and trunk moist or doesn't it make any
difference?

I'm in Queensland, Australia where its hot and dry all year round.

Hi there
If it's a Port Jackson or Moreton Bay fig you can let the soil dry out
between waterings which encourages a more thicker trunk. If you like aerial
roots get some gravel/blue metal and place in a tray, add water, and sit the
pot on top. That way it creates humidity but the pot doesn't sit in the
water keeping the soil wet.
I have a port jackson fig in black sand type soil, and it's trunk has
thickened much more than an equivalent fig in bonsai potting mix, as the
sand dries out quicker and more often.
This would probably go for other ficus too, in regards to trunk thickening
or aerial roots.
When I say dry out, I mean not to the point of the plant wilting, but the
soil is almost dry, then thoroughly re-water, even if you water by placing
pot in a tray of water to soak the soil.
Oh and don't bother wetting the foliage unless it gets dirty from
pollution/dust, in which case do it once a week, or once a fortnight.
Good luck
Andrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Thanks in advance.

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++